Thursday 15 January 2015

Right or Wrong?

I find it so hard to tell if i'm in the right or in the wrong.

It should be so simple. Punch someone = wrong. Give money to charity = right. Those actions have clear cut, definitive labels, and you know if you are in the right or in the wrong.

But there is rarely a time in life when anything is clear cut, and this is where I find myself getting stuck. As humans, we are very clever at, subconsciously or not, changing the way we act to get the response we want. For example, my friend has a cookie and has been looking forward to eating it all day. I also want her cookie, so I make a big thing about being so so hungry and having had a really bad day, and eventually asks for the cookie. Am I in the wrong for trying to guilt her into giving it to me, or is she in the wrong for not helping me out when I've so clearly shown it would really help me out. 

I forever find myself being slightly selfish and doing things for me rather than someone else, and then I am guilted into feeling like I am in the wrong. But am I?

I really don't know. Is it wrong to be a little bit selfish? Should we constantly try to do our best to put others first, ignoring what we want? Would that be the right thing to do?

Or is it the people who ask you to do things for them, despite knowing it wouldn't benefit you, it would only benefit them, that are in the wrong? Is it okay for them to be able to guilt you into feeling bad about being a little bit selfish, just like someone has for me today. 

This is a question I daily struggle with, and I don't have the answer. I don't even know if this makes any sense. All I know is that it's something that isn't ever going to be clear cut. There probably isn't even an answer to this, so I guess I'll never know. I just wish I could find a way to separate myself from situations I am in and see it objectively, as that's probably the only thing that would help me to figure it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment